Uniform & Equipment
The school has decided that the students will wear school uniform because:
- We believe that dressing smartly communicates a business-like attitude to work
- We believe that a uniform protects students from discrimination in terms of expensive fashion clothing
- Students can be readily identified in public places as being from Abbeywood Community School
- Student’s dress should reflect cleanliness and tidiness.
We expect students to wear the correct school uniform while travelling to and from school.
Students will not be permitted to wear either the Abbeywood tracksuit bottoms with zip or the Abbeywood hoodie due to risks involved.
The Abbeywood Community School uniform is only available for purchase from Harris Sports.
- Green polo shirt with Abbeywood Community School logo for Year 7 & 8
- Blue polo shirt with Abbeywood Community School logo for Year 9, 10 & 11
- Black cardigan or black sweatshirt with Abbeywood Community School logo
Other items of uniform not available from Harris Sports can be purchased through all good retailers.
- Black trousers or skirt; no micro skirts. Trousers should be tailored, no jeans, leggings or tracksuit bottoms (please see the Uniform Guidance above for details of acceptable Trousers/Skirts).
- Black shorts - must be tailored and knee length; no jeans, leggings, tracksuit type shorts.
- Plain black socks/black opaque tights
- Plain black sensible footwear – not boots or sandals. No trainers with coloured laces or coloured logos (please see the School Uniform at ACS document above for details of acceptable footwear).
- Jewellery: The only jewellery allowed is a watch and a single pair of small plain stud earrings. All other nose, face, body or multiple ear piercings must be removed for Health and Safety reasons.
- Make-up: Discreet make-up only, no long/false or coloured nails, no false eyelashes.
- Hair: No extreme styles or colours (one natural colour).
Students must place all outdoor clothing in their locker before school starts and collect at the end of the school day.
Any item worn underneath the polo shirt should not be visible e.g. long sleeved t-shirts, polo tops, t-shirts showing below the polo.
Any student arriving at school not in uniform will be followed up by staff. If there is a problem with uniform please contact school (email, phone, note) to inform us of the issue.
PE Kit policy
It is required that all students in Y7 to 11 wear school PE kit to all lessons. If a child is ill or unable to they are to bring a note from their parent or guardian excusing them from the practical element of the lesson.
Acceptable PE Kit - please see the image below
It is also expected that all students bring and change into kit even if they are unable to take part. The exception to this being if a student physically is unable to do so due to a severe injury or condition.
Students will not be permitted to wear either the Abbeywood tracksuit bottoms with zip or the Abbeywood hoodie whilst playing tag rugby due to the risks involved. They can wear these during other PE lessons.
We strongly advise that your child has a PE hoody for winter PE lessons. Non ACS branded jumpers and coats are not permitted to be worn in any circumstances, therefore your child may be more comfortable wearing a school PE hoody on colder days.
Astro footwear - please see the image below
The Abbeywood Community School Sports Kit is only available for purchase from Harris Sports.
Please note that the Skorts (these can be purchased in place of Shorts) and Tracksuit bottoms are non essential items.
Thank you for your support in ensuring that our students look smart and uniform when doing sport.
From 24 April 2017 the school no longer holds stock of any uniform items. They can now be purchased from Harris Sports using the following link https://harrissports.co.uk/collections/abbeywood-school
Should you qualify for Free School Meals or your household income is under £16,190 p.a. and you are in receipt of Working Tax Credits financial support is available - click on the link here for more information and here for our Charging and Remissions Policy.
Uniform will need to be purchased direct from Harris Sports and a claim made to our Finance Department Finance@abbeywoodschool.com. Evidence of entitlement to Working Tax Credits must be provided at this point.
Please click here to view the Uniform Order Form for Harris Sports.
Guidance for non uniform days Click here for guidance
Equipment requirement for all students in all lessons will be:
|Bronze - non-negotiable||Silver - desirable||Gold - amazing!|
|Pencil||Spare pencil||Coloured pencils|
|Ruler (15cm)||Ruler (30cm)|
Pair of compasses
|Green pen for self-marking|
The following can be bought at the ACS Stationery Shop:
Black or purple biro 10p each
30cm Ruler 15p each
15cm Ruler 10p each
Glue stick 25p
Highlighters (yellow only) 10p
Compass (with pencil) 20p
Pencil sharpener 10p
Bronze level pencil case £2
Students are personally responsible for the items they bring into school, including their mobile phone. We suggest students do not bring in expensive items in case of loss or damage. The only exception to this is if a student loses or damages a personal possession while being instructed to use it for educational reasons by a member of staff.